Summary IBM, DEC etc file servers

Hascall John Paul john at iastate.edu
Sun Mar 17 00:36:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.204401.28337 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxbja at csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (Betty Jo Armstead) writes:
}Here are the replys I received in response to the post on distributed
}servers.

   I missed the original request for this because the powers that be
decided that buying a used disk for News spool was a good place to save
money (har!).  Anyhow, from the other responses, it sounds like we are
running one of the larger fileserver setups.  We currently have 4 of the
following (probably 5 soon):

            DECstation 5000/200 CX grayscale
            16-24 MB memory
            an additional SCSI card
            8-10 x RZ57 (1GB each)
            TZK08 (really an EXABYTE)

with which we are serving 300+ DECstations of various types, ~1500 users
in a couple dozen buildings (heaven help us when we let the undergraduates
on!) with NFS, Mail, Print, and all the "Athena" services, etc...

   Our request for bids was answered by Apollo(HP), DEC, IBM, SGI & SUN
(I gather you can figure out who we selcted).

   We have had a goodly number of companies, universities, etc. through to
have a look and I am sure we could survive some more ;-)

John Hascall
--
John Hascall                        An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.
Project Vincent