Networking RS/6000's ?

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Thu Mar 21 08:27:00 AEST 1991

Dick> [we] are proposing a Model 320H to an existing client;[...] he
Dick> wants to make _SURE_ that, as his needs grow, he can add a
Dick> second (and third) system and have them networked in a way that
Dick> directories can be shared among users on all systems (there may
Dick> also be a more minor need to log on to another system).

Dick> I assume that the means to achieve this is NFS running on TCP/IP
Dick> over Ethernet,

Yes.

Dick> Now the question.  Is this a relatively simple and
Dick> straightforward thing to do?  Does it _REALLLY_ work reliably?

Yes and yes.

Dick> Practiccally, how many RS/6000's can be networked in this
Dick> manner?  How much support complication is introduced by the
Dick> network?

There should not be any trouble or performance degradation with up to
a dozen or more hosts.  Of course it depends on how much you data you
are actually pumping across the ethernet in the transfers between
machines....
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at brahms.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET