What should I buy with a r6000?

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Fri Mar 8 21:39:58 AEST 1991

jeffs at soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) writes:

>I have never seen a fully configured board, but I think it can be up to
>3 boards.  The basic 3d board.  The Z-buffer, and the 24 bit color.  However
>this is partially speculation.

4 boards, two piggy backed on the other two, which use two slots.

>|>   6. Any problem with just 4 slots? I need ethernet, an external scsi
>|>      controller and graphics. It would be nice to have 1 slot free. does
>|>      24 bit color take 2 slots?
>4 slots in the 320 is sorta a bad deal.  You need one for ethernet, one for
>SCSI, and one for a display.  This make expansion sorta tight.

Since the 8 bit 3d display is the same as the 24 except with smaller piggy back
boards, this leaves 0 slots for expansion.  (I mean same construction, I've
not seen a 24 bitter, just looked in the service manuals - we're still
waiting for ours).  The colour graphics and monochrome boards are single
slot. (but who wants them *B^)

PS. The design of the ethernet boards connections is sadly deficient - the
bnc connector is too close to the end of the board, making it almost
impossible to fit a T-connector on if there are any cards (such as scsi or
display) beside it, or with a 320, to even put the back cover on at all!  I
am wondering if anyone uses a short stub of cable directly from the board to
the T - not a recommended practice with ethernet, but I believe it usually
works?
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits