Making A request to IBM

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Sun Mar 24 00:49:08 AEST 1991

Ok....so now that we know what IBM does, and who does what at IBM let me
post the following questions:

1. What recourse do I have if I am trying to develop code for the RS/6000/AIX
system, and am running into problems with cc,xlc,ld, etc. Most of the time,
I cannot ship source code to IBM (I.E. proprietary information), but I am at
a loss as how to get IBM to look at a particular problem. For example, I am working with a 2MB archive file (see previous postings..) and I am having
problems with the linker. I can't very well send this archive file to IBM,
and it would seem to me that level 1 and 2 support would not be able to create
a 2MB archive file just to test out what happens during the link....

2. When I call IBM and report a bug, I sometimes get a patch number. HOWEVER,
it has been my experience that the patch often "fixes" more items than the
one I was looking for. This is "great, until something that worked breaks",
and I don't know where to look....Does IBM distribute just a single fix?
How does one request just a single fix?

To be fair, SE's which I deal with usually attempt to handle problems, but
they deal more with the operating system itself (and its utilities), that
with the low level programming parts. I am lucky enough to have access to
people who know AIX fairly well, but more often than not I call Defect Support
simply because I know that someone will be at the end of the phone, rather than
an answering machine.

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *