/tmp in AIX 3.1 on RS6000/530

Tony Sanders sanders at peyote.cactus.org
Thu Mar 28 01:12:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar27.003746.28893 at lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe at physics.orst.edu writes:
>I am new to AIX. There are certain files (directories) in /tmp which I
>don't know what for. Such as .SRC-unix, .X11-unix, .gP, phase2.out,
>rc.net.out, *.pag, aixfile, inu_list.new, ....  They are there since
>day one. Can I remove them? Since they are in /tmp, I tend to think
>they are temparary, un-important. I would like to clean up the /tmp
>once a while so it won't get filled up. Anyone has any idea?

.SRC-unix is for the srcmstr program (deals with system daemons mostly).
.X11-unix is where X saves the unix domain socket for "DISPLAY=unix:0"
I don't recommend removing them.  .SRC-unix is AIX specific but .X11-unix
is pretty standard for any unix system running X.

I think aixfile is created by X windows.  It contains various
messages about looking for graphics adapters.  Not important.

The *.out files are created everytime you boot.  They exist in case you
get errors so you can look at them and maybe help you figure out the
problem.  You can delete them if you want, it doesn't seem worth
while.

inu_list.new is used by the install/update stuff.  As long as you aren't
installing or updating you can remove it.  Again it doesn't seem worth while.

.gP dunno 'bout this one.

*.pag sounds like X-station files, if your system servers x-stations I
wouldn't delete them.

For cleaning up /tmp you can use the find command combined with the
-atime, -mtime, and -ctime flags you help you figure out which files
are active.

-- sanders at peyote.cactus.org
I am not an IBM representative, I speak only for myself.