Using ksh set -u breaks xinit script...

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Tue Mar 26 15:19:30 AEST 1991

I dragged my ksh environment over from my Sun workstation, and one
of the things I routinely turn on is 'set -u", so that shell variables
will cause an error if referenced before being declared (assigned).  I
consider this good programming practice and protection against spelling
errors, but it caused the "/usr/lpp/bin/xinit" script to break because it
checks for the variable XSTATION without declaring it first or using suitable
defaulting (e.g. ${foo:-} or whatnot).

Should I make this burning issue my first call to Defect Support?  Will they
even understand what I'm talking about?  I suppose I could ask my SE but he
keeps saying things like "Boy, this AIX stuff is totally different from
everything else I know..."

Ed Ravin            |
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | pardon our appearance -- .signature under construction
philabs!trintex!elr |