vn_ routines

Ruth Milner rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Mar 15 01:45:21 AEST 1991

In article <5866 at awdprime.UUCP> web at farpoint.austin.ibm.com (Bill Baker) writes:
>>Does anyone know where all the vn_ routines are kept?

>My apologies for the confusing documentation.  The vn_ routines described
>in the documentation are an attempt to define the entry points for a new file
>system type that you would write.

Does this mean they don't actually exist? I'll say the documentation is
confusing:
---------

    Description

      The vn_create subroutine creates a VREG type of  vnode (vir-
  tual node) in the directory specified by the dp parameter.
  (Other  vnode operations create directories and  special files.)

[...]
      Note:     The  logical file system calls the  vn_lookup subroutine
  before calling the vn_create subroutine.

     Execution Environment

      The vn_create subroutine can be called from the  process en-
  vironment only.
[...]
Sure is documented like a real routine. That "Note:" in particular seems to
imply these routines are actually used in AIX. And nothing anywhere in any of
them to indicate they are only templates.

Apology accepted, but I would like to make a suggestion - please change the
documentation in the next update. Thank you.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
                            rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu