logging off from an Xstation 120

geo at george.austin.ibm.com geo at george.austin.ibm.com
Fri May 17 01:30:24 AEST 1991

In article <91135.164341CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> Does anyone know how to log off from an Xstation 120?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> shih at cithex.bitnet
> shih at cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu

In my configuration, typing "exit" in the login window closes
everything, but I would
recommend closing out the other windows before exiting.  The configuration is:

Xstation 120 connected to RS/6000 running xstation manager (at 3005
update level).

When started, the xstation manager downloads the Xwindow manager to the
xstation, and
provides one window to login to the server -  This is the login window.

When I login, it executes my .profile file which includes a call to "mwm
&" (the window
manager).  Note that you do not need to call "xinit" since X is already
running on the
xstation (and with the 3005 update that causes an error caused by
incompatible Xservers -
X11-R4 on the xstation and X11-R3 that is started with xinit).

When I logout, I close all windows except the login window and then type
"exit" at the
login window prompt.  This kills the window manager (although sometimes
you get the
pop-up that asks if it is "ok to exit mwm", but not always), kills the
login session, and
returns the Xstation to the plain X root window and a new login window
(with no mwm frames).
Pressing any menu buttons at this time has no effect.  You can then turn
off the Xstation, or
leave it up with the login window present.

Sincerely,
George Noren

My opinions, of course...