RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Fri May 3 21:58:37 AEST 1991

In article <27889 at hydra.gatech.EDU> bokonon at prism.gatech.EDU (Chris Cheyney) writes:

>I have a problem with the RS/6000 sendmail.  I've configured it
>properly so it realizes who it is and who the UUCP relay is, but
>it passes the wrong machine name in the HELO message sent to the
>remote SMTP.
>
><<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

 Look at how $j is defined.  It is usually defined on a line reading
something like:
	Dj$w.$D
or perhaps just
	Dj$w
 If properly configured, $j should be your fully qualified hostname.
At the very least, it must be different from the value of $j on any
host you talk to with SMTP.  The '553 Local configuration error'
message happens because, during the SMTP greeting phase (the HELO
command), the value of $j on each host is compared.  If both compare
the same (possibly in a case-insensitive comparison) sendmail assumes
it is talking to itself and exits with that error message.

 If changing $j doesn't correct the problem, then your sendmail really
is talking to itself, and not properly recognizing some local
addresses.

>Any help you can provide (like a copy of sendmail 5.61 or greater
>that's non-IBM that will work on the box :-)) will be greatly
>appreciated.

 Paul Pomes has done a lot of work getting sendmail-5.65+IDA to run on
many platforms including RS6000.  You can ftp the package from
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.  However the software is not your problem; the definition
of $j or other configuration problems are what you need to fix.  Running
a different version of 'sendmail' with your current 'sendmail.cf' will
likely see the same problem recur.