File system types

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Fri Apr 5 10:48:33 AEST 1991

rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
> 	Is is possible to use the ufs file system as the root file system?

Prior to version 2, the kernel will only try s5 for the root file
system.  You can change this, if you feel brave, by zeroing out the
"rootfs" variable in the kernel in the boot partition.  (Instructions
for the latter available on request).

> 	Will a tape installation allow you to choose which file system
> 	you wish to use and to partition the disk as well?

Unfortunately, the Berkeley filesystem code in SVR4 is sufficiently
buggy that we do not recommend its use or provide an easy way to use
it for the root filesystem.  AT&T knows about the bugs and has a fixed
version but does not give it to us SVR4 licensees, prefering to sell
it for many thousands of dollars instead.  A future Amiga Unix version
will have a fixed ufs, though, whether we get the AT&T fixes or attack
it ourselves.  If I sound angry about this, you guessed it.

We want to make ufs work, but we have had more urgent problems to work
on.

					-=] Ford [=-

"A just machine to make big decisions	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
programmed by fellows with compassion	ford at amix.commodore.com
and vision." - Donald Fagen, "IGY"	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford at kenobi.commodore.com