VMS TALKING again....

Ken Wallewein kenw at skyler.arc.ab.ca
Wed Apr 10 14:15:31 AEST 1991

  DECnet-based Phone and and TCP/IP-based Talk are comparable but
different.  DECnet and TCP/IP likewise.  I know of no way to have Phone
directly interconnect with Talk.

  What you need is for both machines involved to use the same protocol
suite. That means that they must both have DECnet and Phone or both have
TCP/IP and Task, and that there must be an unbroken path for the common
protocol between both machines.

  Note: DECnet on a Unix node may may not include Phone, and TCP/IP on a
VMS node may not include Talk.  They would be non-native to the
architecture (i.e. "third party"); it's worth checking.

  If you don't have all of these things, you're outa luck; you're going to
have to Telnet, rlogin, or SET HOST to a node that does.

--
/kenw

Ken Wallewein                                                     A L B E R T A
kenw at noah.arc.ab.ca  <-- replies (if mailed) here, please       R E S E A R C H
(403)297-2660                                                     C O U N C I L