Problems with 1.1 AMIX

David Miller - CATS davidm at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Apr 27 08:10:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.055026.4278 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
:
:	After two days of "fun" filled spelunking of AMIX 1.1 I have my
:	first whine list. Anybody who knows how to deal with these problems
:	PLEASE speak up, either in private e-mail or posting to the group.
:	First the whining, then the praise.
:
:Enter whine mode:
:
:	1) Disk partitioning.
:	   The 386 R4 install procedure lets you create many UNIX partitions,
:	   aka slices, in any slice # and size you want. The 1.1 install
:	   scripts seems to limit you to 3 stock UNIX and 1 AmigaDOS
:	   slice. I whined earlier about this before the system arrived.
:	   It looks like I'll have to create a custom boot set that will
:	   allow me to run rdb from floppys to set up all 7 of the slices
:	   the way I want them. Now, I'm the type who used iv and a
:	   custom boot set on a UNIX PC to satisfy my perverse need to
:	   create a disk setup just the way I wanted it. I take it more
:	   as a challenge than a bug... To the Amiga folks, you might
:	   want to consider that SOME of the AMIX users know EXACTLY
:	   what their doing and would like the rope to hang themselves
:	   with... A more flexible install partitioning script would
:	   be appreciated in future releases. Maybe you can even pull
:	   an AT&T "magic mode" a la 3b2 UNIX!

	Well, there is a sort of magic mode.  Type control-C during the
	install script and you'll get an interactive shell.  From there
	you can do just about anything.

	A word of caution:
		There is not enough swap space on the floppy disk to
		support the swap device.  You must go far enough
		through the installation to create a RDB and a swap
		partition.  Then, once in an interactive shell, you
		must say:

		    swap -a /dev/rdsk/c6d0s<n> 0 <m>

		where <n> is the partition to use for swapping, and
		<m> is the length of the partition in 512-byte blocks.
		Then say:

		    swap -d /dev/fakeswap 0 <m>

		where <m> is the size of the fakeswap partition.  (The
		current size may be determined by typing:

		    swap -l

:	2) MotherBoard serial driver. Enter face filled with disgust mode:
:	   Come on guys, this is an AMIGA for crying out loud. There is
:	   zero, zilcho, zippo, nadda excuse for a serial port that drops
:	   characters at 9600 baud like it's going out of style. What's
:	   worse, the serial driver PANIC'D MY SYSTEM from a USER mode
:	   kermit, ckermit 5a(169) alpha to be exact, and I wasn't
:	   even running as root! I'll admit I'm spoiled when it comes to
:	   serial performance due to where I work but come on people. A
:	   thousand lashings with a wet noodle on this one. I hope 2.0
:	   has a better serial driver for the motherboard port.
:
:	   In the mean time, is there any way I can increase the buffering
:	   or something so that I'm not wasting a telebit T2500? I'd
:	   really like to be able to do 19200. My UNIX PC can do 9600
:	   full bore with no drop outs on a mid 80's serial driver; I'm
:	   disappointed with AMIX's performance... B^(.
:
:	   The MOST frustrating thing is that the system panic didn't
:	   do a panic dump on the paging area even though there was
:	   enough blocks to do so. How am I supposed to psychoanalyse
:	   a panic dump with crash when the kernel doesn't have the common
:	   decency to make one? I use crash at work quite a bit so I
:	   know what to do once I get the dump. Can I set any magic
:	   variables to tell AMIX to dump to swap?

	   This is fixed in version 2.0.

:	 3) X needs pty 0 free in order to startup??? HUH? I'd
:	    REALLY like to know why this is. I've worked with quite a
:	    few X servers and most recently X386. NONE of them require
:	    a pty, let alone the FIRST pty, to be free in order to work.
:	    I can't wait to hear the reason for this one...

	    This will also be fixed in 2.0.

:	 4) The berkeley emulation from hell:
:
:	    Sigh. I have a bitch of a time with the 386 S5R4's pathetic
:	    emulation of berkeley routines and I see it infected the 68k
:	    code as well. I get the feeling the AT&T people who did the
:	    Berkeley stuff never went within 2000 miles of a functioning
:	    Berkeley system. B^(. I'll keep this short though.
:
:	    1) If /usr/ucb is in your path before /usr/ccs/bin you are SOL.
:	       gcc won't work and cc produces executables that loath executing.
:	       The fix is easy, as the man says, if it hurts when you do
:	       that, then DON'T do that...
:	    2) The directory functions in the berkely libs, i.e opendir and
:	       co., don't know squat about symlinks or non-S5 file systems.
:	       The people doing the ufs patchwork should make sure that the
:	       regular lib's dir functions grok S5, ufs, NFS, RFS, etc. and
:	       such and maybe fix the berkeley stuff if they have time. This
:	       botch is common to all R4's I've seen so it's not C='s fault
:	       per say.
:	    3) The whole Berkeley emulation package on all R4's really needs
:	       to be taken out into a field and shot. Rewriting it from scratch
:	       would probably take less time than trying to fix the current
:	       mess. B^(. Again, this is not unique to AMIX, all R4's seem
:	       to have braindead Berkeley emulation. B^(. Probably AT&T's
:	       little way to get you to kick the Berzerkeley habit. B^(.

	       I beleive that most, if not all of these will be fixed
	       in version 2.0.

:	 5) gcc gripes.
:
:	    Being a UNIX PC owner myself I was tickled pink that AMIX gcc
:	    is basically 3b1 gcc with dwarf tacked on. Will 2.0 have
:	    descriptions that aren't based on 3b1 but totally optimized for
:	    AMIX? Seems a shame to retain 3b1 quirks that we don't have to...
:	    I am glad to see active support for gcc though, I HATE the AT&T
:	    R4 compiler on both AMIX and 386 R4. Thanks to a gentleman from
:	    Dell I have a gcc for 386 R4 but it doesn't generate DWARF output
:	    so I can't debug with gcc. Which leads me to gdb...
:
:	 6) Will there be a gdb in 2.0? I know Dell ships gcc and gdb with
:	    their R4 so a R4 gdb is possible. The conversion to /proc has
:	    GOT to be a pain in the butt... I HATE sdb with an intense
:	    passion, gdb would be moocho appreciated. Maybe some of the
:	    C= guys can milk the Dell boys for info, a couple a kegs ought
:	    to do it... B^).

	    In version 2.0, it is intended that gcc will be the
	    defacto C compiler for Amiga UNIX.  It is my understanding
	    that significant work has been done on gcc and related
	    tools.

:End whine mode
:Enter back pat mode.
:
:	15 minutes from box to fully functioning networked box on my company's
:	network! YOWSA! I'm impressed! I've NEVER seen a UNIX system come
:	up so fast and "just work"(tm)! GREAT JOB C=!!!! After 20 minutes
:	I was using rrn and sendmail e-mail over the net. A very pleasant
:	experience. Now, if only I could figure out the $%^$%^ mailer system,
:	I thought sendmail was terse; YIKES!

	Send me some email of what you're trying to do with the mail
	and I'll see what I can do to help.

:	If anyone has comments on any of the above, please send me some email
:	or better yet POST. Let's get some REAL AMIX conversations going, not
:	like these boring application postings I've been seeing of late.
:
:	I managed to get ckermit 5A(169) Alpha to work. ELM 2.3PL11 is
:	bucking it, can't seem to find all the libs due to the /usr/ccs BS.
:	I might try merging in the DWARF stuff to gcc 1.39 but I assume the C=
:	crew has already done that and might skip straight to getting the R4
:	clients and libs compiled. I HATE Open Look, I want my TWM, tvtwm and
:	R4 athena widgets dammit!

	Version 2.0 will include X11 Release 4.0.  (YEAH!)
	(BTW, OL under X11R4 is not nearly as painful as OL under R3.
	 It is actually, <GASP>, useable!  Shh, don't tell AT&T, or
	 they'll hurry out and change it!)

:	So, who all's ported what and what should we port next to our
:	favorite 68k box? Let's get something going here!
:
:	By the way, where the heck are all the Virginia U people at? They
:	MUST have interesting war stories to tell us greenhorns. B^).
:
:		Happily hacking on my 3000UXD,
:
:			-Rob

Thanks for the good word's Rob, they are appreciated, as are the
criticisms.

DavidM			       CATS - Commodore Applications & Tech. Support
davidm at cbmvax.commodore.com    Amigados +1 215 431 9300  UNIX +1 215 431 9425