Amiga 3000UX Color X

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Sat Apr 6 03:33:02 AEST 1991

In article <SWANSONC.91Apr3183624 at grendel3.acc.stolaf.edu>
swansonc at acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:

>b&w X is only temporary with Amix.  Right now the engineers at C= are
>working on (and RSN will be shipping) a version of color X supporting
>all of the Amiga resolutions/colors that use the specialized Amiga
>graphics chips.

This is all correct.  black and white X11R3 was available in Amiga
Unix 1.1.  It supported normal and A2024 (Hedley) modes.  This version
of X also supported the A2410 (Lowell board).

Amiga Unix Version 2.0 will have X11R4 whose port is quite a bit faster
than the current release (%90-%100 faster).

>Rumor has it that the color implimentation is about 4x faster than
>the current b&w.

This is not true.  The native color implementation will be slower than
the monochrome server.  Sans magick, I don't see any way around this.
I can see how a two bit plane X11R4 server could be just as fast as the
X11R3 b&w server but that would probably be the limit.

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag