Decent Unix Editors!! (one man's opinion, anyway)

Sri-Man aru at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Wed Apr 24 02:25:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.155426.18260 at cs.umn.edu> brsmith at cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>In <T0XA4Y at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>>Popularity does not prove anything. MS-DOS is the most popular
>>operating system in the world, judging by the number of users.
>
>No, popularity alone doesn't say much.  But, vi comes with every unix

No one said what the criteria was for "popular" was.

>emacs.  GNU emacs is more powerful, more flexible, and has "Zippy the
>Pinhead" quotes...

Agreed...vi people should admit this..its great for debugging code.

>Well, yes, that is true.  BUT, the standard emacs keys (the 8-10 keys
>for cursor movement, delete-char, kill-line, etc.) are also found in
>the Athena string widget, the Motif string widget, the Open Look

News to me, doesn't work on my terminal.  Although the arrow keys work on
vi. :-)

Look guys, you know this vi vs gnuemacs thing is not going to get anywhere,
so why start what looks like a flame war between emacs and vi.  So lets
just drop it.   You guys sound suspiciously like Amiga users. ;-)

	Sri