Assorted Unix Questions

Donald R Lloyd don at chopin.udel.edu
Sat Apr 6 06:26:39 AEST 1991

	I've been fooling around with a 3000UX for a few days at a local dealer
where nobody knows the slightest thing about Unix except for my experience
as a user on the various udel systems for a few years.  There are a few
things I need a little help/coaching on:

	We've got a regular 3000 sitting next to the UX, connected to it via
null modem cable (as per the illustration in the manual) running JRComm
or Baud Bandit.  When JRComm starts up, it gives an 'already connected'
type message and shows the login: prompt.... but that's it.  Nothing else
I try seems to get through to the UX.
	I've tried various changes in the /etc/inittab file (yes, I ran
'init q' like the manual said) to get it to work, but have had no luck.
The line in inittab currently reads something like:

	Ser0:23:respawn: <something involving getty, only thing changed from default
						is baud rate, tried 1200, 9600, 19.2...>

	The UX's manual is pretty skimpy on this subject, and the man pages
didn't seem to helpful.  This is the first administrative/networking/whatever
type work I've done on a Unix system so a lot of it's new to me.
	Can anyone offer any advice?

	Thanks!

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Contact don at brahms.udel.edu for more information.