Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Apr 2 08:17:12 AEST 1991

In article <3043 at tpki.toppoint.de> kris at tpki.toppoint.de (Kristian Koehntopp) writes:
> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Hey, you have any idea how many victims were persuaded to buy Atari STs
> >instead of Amigas because of how long it took them to start shipping
> >boxes? If they hadn't shipped *something* we'd be running TOS now.

> Well, at least _I_ have sold my A2000-A because I was fed up with

[ basically, no MMU, no protection ]

Can you buy another machine for $500 that provides a protected environment?
This stuff has nothing to do with the operating system? The APTR/BPTR stuff
is a pain, sure, but it's also a pretty minor part of the system: most
programs don't need to know about it. Only stuff that wants to dig through
DOS data structures, and most of those programs would have to be setuid
programs that dug into /dev/kmem on UNIX. Other than that, you're not going
to get better from a consumer machine, period.

> Most of the above faults are due to the poor design of the dos.library and
> could have been easily avoided. I bought an 386 with XENIX instead.

OK, how much did it cost?
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com