VMS TALKING again.... (and DECnet stuff)

Jean-Noel MOYNE jnmoyne at lbl.gov
Thu Apr 11 13:16:41 AEST 1991

In article <14461 at helios.TAMU.EDU> dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl
Biberdorf) writes:
> PHONE and Talk are not compatible, period.

   Right !

  Furthermore I would say just forget it. If you want to use talk with
your friend, I can guess that he's not close to you (geographically, of
course (-:). That means you'll have to go thru WANs for that. Your machine
is a UNIX machine, and I bet it's on the Internet. He's machine is a VAX
running VMS he's very likely to be on a separate DECnet WAN, and that
means no connection at all .. just mail.

  If your friend's VAX is running Multinet (i.e. when he types 'ftp' he
doesn't get an error message), he may be on the internet, and you might be
able to use talk. If not, I don't think installing Multinet would help
(especially asking the sys manager for that, he's very likely to smile and
ask: what for ?)

    As for implementations of DECnet, you can have DECnet on Ultrix of
course, but also on PCs, on Macs, and on ..... (tsss tsss tsss (-:)

            JNM

PS: and don't ask, there's no talk in DECnet phase V either ! (-:

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne at lbl.gov