SLIP or PPP driver in amix?

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Fri Apr 5 10:32:13 AEST 1991

rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
> Is there a SL/IP or PPP driver in the current version of Amiga UNIX?

No.

> What IS the current released version?

The latest (and essentially, only) released version of Amiga Unix is
version 1.1 (1.0 was identical to Beta3j).  I beleive that all
machines that shipped with beta versions included a coupon allowing a
"free" upgrade to the released software, and people with that coupon
can get 1.1 now.

> Will it/they be in version 2.0? Will their be support for
> dialin/dialout SLIP or PPP?

The current 2.0 alpha system includes a simple SLIP driver and
programs for starting SLIP on a line.  There is no dial-on-demand
support, but modem or direct connections can be started up manually.

guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> There's an S5R4 version of SLIP in "comp.sources.unix".  It claims to be
> for S5R4/386, but with any luck neither it nor S5R4/386 are so broken
> that it wouldn't work with minimal or no changes (other than changes to
> the way you add a new streams module to the kernel

That might be a good thing to try out too.  I haven't looked at it
very closely, but there is little reason to expect it not to work.

> - is this a problem, given the complaints I've seen about not being
> able to configure kernels on Amigas?).

This is a limitation of version 1, so we'll have to wait for 2.0 for
this too.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at amix.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ford at kenobi.commodore.com