Where is libnsl.a ????

Markus Wild wild at nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 22 08:03:08 AEST 1991

I wanted to recompile emacs today, mainly to get rid of the nasty bug that
sometimes causes emacs to completely ignore some files, or even directories.
(Symptom: when the directory/file is not accessible, emacs says "the file has
changed on disk", and when it tries to re-read it, an error occurs. I can't
tell which error, because the description is outside the 80 character line
width. I assume emacs thinks the file is too large, that's what happened when
I tried to port bash. Use the S5-sys/stat.h, and all works as it should.)

This only happens under ufs (at least I didn't encounter the bug on the s5
root filesystem). I *guess* it might have to do with the original source
using -I/usr/ucbinclude, as the sys/stat.h there doesn't seem to contain a
stat-structure that fits the stat-function in the library (or libucb.a is
simply missing this function, for now stat is taken from the "normal" c
library).

However, the needed network library "nsl" is only available in shared-format,
libnsl*.so, but not as libnsl.a. Why has this library not been shipped with
neither Beta3j nor Release1.1 ??

-Markus

PS: The "new" version, no more using ucbinclude, works perfectly linked with
the shared libraries, ie. it doesn't show the above mentioned bug anymore. BUT
having emacs load its lisp files on each startup is annoying, since it can't
undump when linked with shared libraries. I'd be thankful if I wouldn't have
to wait for release 2.0 to get libnsl.a....
Markus M. Wild    - mwild at iiic.ethz.ch  |  wild at nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch
--
Insert your favorite $(cooky) here...