Decent Unix Editors!! (one man's opinion, anyway)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Apr 23 07:25:33 AEST 1991

In article <CPETTERB.91Apr22112807 at mickey.glacier.sim.es.com> cpetterb at glacier.sim.es.com (Cary Petterborg) writes:
> But DON'T say that emacs is not a decent program editor.  Emacs, by its
> proven popularity is a decent program editor.

Popularity does not prove anything. MS-DOS is the most popular operating
system in the world, judging by the number of users. What you consider a
good editor is a matter of taste and what you have programmed into your
muscle memory. Flaming someone because their fingers are used to another
program is at best unproductive.

When I ported "dte" to the systems we have our managers on (mainly because
they have lots of spare serial ports and they support our scheduling
software) one of the other UNIX guys here was disgusted. My boss was
delighted.

> Are you really a professor?  A statement as you made seems awfully
> narrow minded.

No comment.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com