second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

Mark D. Manes, Norfolk State University manes at vger.nsu.edu
Wed Feb 27 01:38:27 AEST 1991

In article <61751 at masscomp.westford.ccur.com>, rtc at westford.ccur.com (Robert Chesler) writes:
> I've been thinking about buying one of the 3000UX systems to develop an
> X-based software system.  Commodore finally told me how much it would
> cost me to get a system as a commercial developer, but hasn't been able
> to answer fully.  I also realized that their idea of "X" might be different
> than mine.

I am not sure what your idea of X is but as far as I can tell, X appears
to be X on a Amiga 3000UX.

> Please tell me why I shouldn't give in to my second thoughts against
> buying one...

Cuz its a neat machine????

> What is the software installation format that they use?  I know that
> the systems come pre-loaded, but a reinstallation might become necessary
> in the future, and I'll most likely reinstall it just to get rid of
> the Amiga DOS stuff they seem to feel I'll want.
>
> I'm pretty sure the installation media is a cartridge tape.  Is it a
> quarter inch cartridge (QIC) or their own standard.  They couldn't even
> tell me the price of a tape drive!  Anyone know the density or capacity,
> or the price of the tape drives?

It does use a QIC-150 Tape drive.  The drive is $699 education I believe.

> I've heard that additional memory chips must be surface-soldered to
> the main board.  I've also heard that memory is user upgradable, and that
> expansion boards are available.  What really is the largest amount of
> memory that I can cram into the system?  How much does it cost to get the
> system with 16 Mb or more memory?  They could only tell me the price with 9Mb.

You heard _incorrectly_.  Simply plug in the chips and go.

9MB is the system they sell, but the motherboard will allow a upgrade to a
total of 18MB of memory.  (16MB fast memory, 2MB chip memory).

> What does Commodore mean by "choice of monitors?"  The price CATS quoted me
> allows for my choice of monitors.  Well I want to run an X server, and I'd
> want color, and resolution greater than 1024 X 864.  I see 1280 X 400 listed
> (I assume this isn't a joke) and I see an expansion graphics board listed as
> 1024 X 1024.  Well if I need to get that expansion board, so be it, but
> how much does it cost?  How many of them can be put on a system?

They are referring to the yet to be released University of Lowell board.
With this board you can connect a variety of mega-pixel displays, according
to Paul Van Reed at Commodore.

> Does the SCSI implementation allow for connecting and using:
> 	- scanners
> 	- fixed-block tapes
> 	- other tapes
> 	- disks (native scsi, or adaptec, OMTI, or other bridge boards)
> 	- CD-ROM's and other removable optical disks

YES.

> Does the system truly come with ethernet?  Does the running system support
> booting X terminals on the network?  Does it support all of the major booting
> protocols?

It sure does!  Both thick and thin.  I had it hooked into my VAX network
with not a single problem.

> What's the deal with getting a 50Mhz CPU clock speed?  What's the deal with
> getting a 68040 CPU?  Are they really available?  How much more cost?

The _deal_ is that _currently_ there are no 68040 boards available
for the A3000, nor a 68030 replacement.  I don't recall Commodore
promising one.

> Could someone post the output of a recursive "ls" on a system?
> Is there a comprehensive list of what UNIX software comes with it, or at least
> is available to put on it?  I want some sort of database for example.
>
> How will third party sotware products be distributed?  (see tape drive question
> above!)
>

> Please reply by email, and I'll post a summary.

Nah, I think you should read comp.unix.amiga. :-)

I suspect you spoke to somebody in CATS Administration.  These folks are
not necessarily "UNIX" techies.  I think CATS is in the process of hiring
a UNIX person.  You might want to try to get a hold of Paul Van Reed at
Commodore.

> Thanks in advance,
> --Robert
>
> rtc at westford.ccur.com  or  decvax!chesler!rob
> w: (508) 392-2702          h: (603) 881-5456

 -mark=