Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNIX.

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Sat Feb 16 06:17:07 AEST 1991

david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> You're right.. converting Unix to multi-processing isn't easy.  There's
> all those references to "u", and all those algorithms that don't lock
> their data structures, etc etc ...

"u" is not haphazardly referenced in SVR4 as it was in previous
versions.  Device driver and filesystem code is now much cleaner,
receiving its parameters by function arguments.  Locking is a bit
better but still doesn't seem suitable for multithreaded use.

Obviously, things like that will change for SVR4/SMP.

BTW, I beleive AT&T says that both R4/ES ("Enhanced Security") and
R4/SMP ("Symmetric MultiProcessing") will be ready for release in
early 1992, and available to developers much sooner than that.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Like a pizza in the rain,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 no one wants to take you home."	ford at amix.commodore.com
 - David Byrne, "Loco de Amor"		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford at kenobi.commodore.com