Want info on Amiga 3000

Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Feb 20 02:47:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb7.005216.19511 at demott.com> kdq at demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    I'm new to this group so treat me kindly.  I'm looking for a SYSV
>UNIX box, 68030 25MHz+, 4+MB RAM, 100+ MB disk, 12+ serial ports (all
>running at 19.2K).  I was told to ask this group (so I'm asking).  Does
>the 3000 have all these things?

The smaller A3000UX bundle comes with 68030 at 25MHz, 4MB RAM, 100MB disk.  Add
to that two C= A2232 boards, and you get basically what you're looking for.
The A2232 is a card with 7 RS-232 ports on it, each of which can run up to
19,200 Baud (the card has a small CPU on it to manage buffering of the
ports).

>What is the bus (VME?).

The bus is an Amiga proprietary bus, called Zorro III.  It supports Amiga
specific 16/24 and 32/32 bit cards.  It's a smaller form factor than the
typical VME (6U or 9U), but quite sufficient.  The performance of the 16/24
cards is roughly equivalent to ISA bus on the PC Clones, while the performance
of the 32/32 bit cards is roughly equivalent to EISA.  Additional information
on the bus itself is available from Commodore, or informally on comp.sys.amiga.
hardware.

>Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq at demott.com

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett