Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

Lars Tunkrans lars at iclswe.icl.se
Mon Feb 18 00:04:25 AEST 1991

halvard at solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:

>Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
>I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
>are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
>Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??

>Does anybody know ??

Open Look is the GUI in the SVR4 package. This is because of the AT&T - SUN
connections. Last I heard there were about 100 English language applications
available for Open Look, ( dont ask me for the names of these apps. ask SUN )
and only a dozenful available for Motif. This was now some months ago.

As far as I know Motif has not yet been ported to SVR4.

Lars.