Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

Cary Petterborg cpetterb at es.com
Sat Feb 16 03:31:11 AEST 1991

In article <jac.666602287 at sundance> jac at gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:

>   halvard at solan.unit.no (Halvard Halvorsen) writes:
>
>   > Does anyone know the reason why C= went for OpenWindows ?
>   > I mean - this is the Sun supported GUI - while Motif
>
>     You are correct that OpenWindows IS a Sun product, but that is not,
>   I believe, what the A3000UX comes with. I believe it comes with AT&T's
>   implementation of the OPEN LOOK GUI, which was jointly developed by
>   AT&T and Sun, and is a part of SVR4. I don't know what all this
>   includes, and I would very much like to see a posting describing it in
>   more detail; e.g., is there a filemgr, which is specified as part of
>   the OPEN LOOK GUI standard? Sun's OpenWindows product supplies this as
>   well as many other "deskset tools". Also, are there any plans to port
>   Sun's xnews? XView? All of the screen shots I've see show the "2D"
>   version of OPEN LOOK, not the 3D version which most people with color
>   (at least most Sun users around here) prefer. Hasn't AT&T gotten 3D
>   support into OLIT yet?
>
>   > are supported by IBM,DEC,HP etc.
>   > Why did C= settle for OpenWindows - or maybe they didn't ??
>		^^^^^^
>		   Is there an implication here that Motif would, in some
>   way, be better? I'll guarantee you'll get a lot of of disagreement on
>   that one. (Serious religious war material here, kind of like the Mac
>   vs. Amiga Intuition vs. Windows debate.) As for IBM, ...., using
>   Motif, we might as all switch back to MS-DOS as it is the clear winner
>   in number of installed sites. (Ack!). Just because it is most popular
>   don't mean it's best (as all Amigans know!).

	DITTO!  I prefer OpenLook to Motif (and I use Motif all day
	everyday on my workstation at work, so I do know what I am
	talking about).  I just wish people understood that Motif
	being supported by vendors doesn't mean it's better.  On the
	contrary, being supported by most vendors just means that
	somebody big (like IBM, OSF, etc) settled for something (often
	for political reasons) and all the sheep lined up behind them
	because they worship the dung littered ground they walk on.
	Oops, I forgot to :-|.  Note no :-).

>   > Does anybody know ??
>
>     No, but I'm glad they did. I hope they'll port xnews and XView too.

	Ditto, again.  MANY applications are being ported from
	Sunview to the XView toolkit.  It's then a short hop to
	porting it to Amiga UNIX (68000 based ABI for SVR4 anyway).
	I'd like to have access to all the Sunview applications!

>   > Halvard =8-)
>
>     Jim

Just One Man's Warped Opionion of Things!!  :-)

Cary

--
Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446
USENET: utah-cs!esunix!cpetterb       INTERNET: cpetterb at esunix.es.com