Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNI

David S. Herron david at twg.com
Fri Feb 15 08:46:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb1.021357.15863 at oracle.com> jmarvin at oracle.com (John W. Marvin) writes:
>AT&T is already working on a parallel version of V.4, building
>on technology from Sequent and Mach, I've read.

Yes, this was stated here a few days ago by a person at Sequent.
This will be good .. in a former job I sysadminn'd a Sequent and
the multiprocessing support they have is really really good.  (Their
(Sequent's) networking software wasn't so hot, but then you can't
have everything, eh?)

The downside is that the multiprocessing System V isn't supposed to be
"out" until 1992.  Does this really mean 1993?  Sigh...

>  C= should, IMHO,
>just work on getting V.4 to work right and let AT&T (or is it UI?)
>solve the parallel problems.  Is the future of Sys V in micro-kernals?
>Stay tuned!

You're right.. converting Unix to multi-processing isn't easy.  There's
all those references to "u", and all those algorithms that don't lock
their data structures, etc etc ...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david at twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david at ms.uky.edu>