UNIX

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Mon May 27 07:21:36 AEST 1991

In article <7781 at ecs.soton.ac.uk> etj90 at ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos) writes:
>In article <dillon.7891 at overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, dillon at overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>     I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
>>     year away. You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
>>     to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
>> 					    -Matt

	Ummm, I don't know about BSD being CLEANER, just first... I
	think non-english speaking UNIX people might have a problem
	with BSD as well. And it would take a REAL good argument to
	convince me that BSD sockets and Co. is cleaner than STREAMS
	and TLI or as flexible when it comes to code using multiple
	network types dynamically without recompilation.

	I grant youthat MOST network code is written to the BSD socket
	model and has a bent toward BSD OS model because BSD had
	good OS extentions before SV. I think it's QUITE a bit of a stretch
	to call BSD cleaner than R4 tho.

	Flames and religeous wars to e-mail, c.u.a doesn't need
	religous wars filling it's bandwidth...

		-Rob

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020