TeX, elm 2.3 and xdvi work

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Wed May 8 03:36:53 AEST 1991

	If anybody cares, I was able to get TeX 3.0, MetaFont, ELM 2.3PL11 and
	xdviPL11 to work on Amix 1.1. The BIG surprise was that xdvi
	compiled right up without even a warning message! The only
	problem is the #$%^$# OL xterm refuses to give up focus
	to xdvi when run under twm, I HATE olwm...

	Both cc and gcc didn't like some of the prototyping that TeX
	used. Specifically, tangleboot.c and all the declarations of
	sprintf in the variouse src trees. tex, latex, bibtex and
	metafont all appear to work fine. I also got a dvi to 9 pin
	Epson program to work. Now I can compose, preview and print
	on my Amiga under Amix!

	ELM required alot of manual futtsing with the config.sh file. I
	used the /usr/public/src/cmd/elm/config.sh as a start. Took a
	few iterations but after an hour I finally had a properly working ELM.

	If anybody wants the gory details on any of the "porting" of the
	packages, send me email and I'll give the details.

	Next project: X11R4 clients and librarys. I'm hoping to set it
		      up as a generic 4.3BSD setup. Hopefully the Berkeley
		      emulation libs will be close enough. Alternatly,
		      I'll follow the sage advice that amatures borrow,
		      masters STEAL and use the X386 patches from
		      Herr Roell as a starting point. The package works
		      slick on the 386 boxes at work so hopefully after
		      some byte sex tweeks it'll work on Amix. Obviously
		      the 386 Server will be useless but the clients and
		      libs should work. After all, R4 is R4 right?! B^).

		      -Rob

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020