dfstab help

Baruch robert robbar at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Sat May 4 13:21:22 AEST 1991

In article <1913dd26.ARN0fb9 at cbmami.UUCP> jason at cbmami.UUCP writes:
>I am trying to set up our system to execute "share /mnt/amiga" upon booting
>up.  I understand that the command should go in /etc/dfs/dfstab but I can't
>seem to get the syntax right.  I have tried:
>
>share /mnt/amiga
>share -F s5 /mnt/amiga
>share -F nfs /mnt/amiga

The sytax for the /etc/dfs/dfstab file is as follows:

Quoting "Unix System V Release 4: An Introduction" by Osborn/McGraw-Hill

You can use the share command to make a resource on your system avail-
able to users on other systems.  To do this, you must have root priv-
leges.  You can use this command to share an RFS resource or to share
an NFS resource.  You indicate your choice of distributed file systems
by using the -F option.  You can restrict how clients may user your
shared resources by using the -o option.

Suppose you wish to share your file "report" in your director /usr/fred
over RFS.  You want to allow all clients read/write access.  You want
to describe this resource as "team project report."  And you want to let
others share this file using the resource name REPORT.  To share your
file in this way, use the command line:

# share  -F rfs -o rw -d "team project report" /usr/fred/project REPORT

You can make such resources available automatically whenever your
system starts running RFS or NFS.  You do this by including a line in
the  /etc/dfs/dfstab.

Hope this helps!