Standards for /dev/amiga and Co.

Bruce D. Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Fri May 24 05:37:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991May20.050025.29148 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

|	What we need is a standard set of library functions, maybe in
|	/usr/lib/libamiga.{so,a} for controlled and simplified access
|	to /dev/amiga. If there isn't a standard put out by C= then
|	all of us will end up creating oodles of different "standards"
|	and that will require grand reunification at some painful point
|	in the future. 2.0 seems to be a good place to start a standard
|	for safe access to /dev/amiga by multiple programs.
|
|	Some thoughts:
|[...]
|	4) We should avoid trying to create an AmigaDOS compatability
|	   library since this would probably create a complex monster
|	   that's a bugger to maintain. Rather, a basic set of functions
|	   should be drawn up and put into the library. Obviously
|	   graphics and sound are the two main catagorys. Under sound
|	   we have music, noise and speech. Under graphics, the
|	   various modes and graphic operations. Initially, create
|	   the most basic functions that can be used to build
|	   complex stuff. Maybe make it, "object oriented". If we
|	   can define the basics for 2.0, then later releases can
|	   add increasingly higher level functionality.

	On the other hand, it sure would be nice to have
	a reasonable porting base for AmigaDos application
	code. DpaintIII under Unix would be pretty interesting...

	Also, a lot of problems you discuss are already
	handled well by AmigaDos system constructs. The
	implementation of Resources would be very useful
	for example. I do agree however, that cloning
	Intuition will be, uh, daunting...

|	   Can C= take the lead? Maybe provide guide lines and a
|	   very basic library, for starters, in 2.0 Amiga UNIX?
|	   Later versions of the OS could slowly build on the
|	   basic library routines.

	Well I assume they're busy working on MS-DOS
	and AmigaDos file systems, etc. etc. - right,
	guys?  Or do we PD types have to do that stuff
	ourselves too?...

|	   X provides some graphic solutions to problems but it
|	   seems like a less bulky way of accessing Amiga hardware
|	   should be available. Plus, there's no sound, music or
|	   speech capability in X.

	"MGR" is a PD window system from Bell labs -
	it's available on a lot of systems. It seems
	to have a great deal of functionality - its
	method uses the concept of an extended console
	driver with escape codes to handle the window
	stuff, rather similar in part to AmigDos CON:
	device. It's easily connected too, just the
	ticket for porting to AmigaDos and using the
	serial port...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!utai!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	<--- net.gumby having a vowel movement