UNIX

Matthew Dillon dillon at overload.Berkeley.CA.US
Tue May 21 11:21:37 AEST 1991

In article <Mario_Capellari.3450 at turtle.stgt.sub.org> Mario_Capellari at turtle.stgt.sub.org (Mario Capellari) writes:
>Ist there any Shareware or Public Domain Version of UNIX avaible for the
>Amiga?
>
>I know that some people would laugh, and also I`ve never heard about it, but
>who kows it, if nobodys asks???
>
>so long,
>
>-- Via DLG Pro v.96 Beta
>
>mario capellari		    |  BBS`s for Amiga  greetings....
>7000 Stuttgart 1		    |  ++49 711 6407689     the
>FRG				    |  ++49 711 6498429 TurtleSystems
>UseNet:!aragon!tyrell!turtle!mario |  24H a day

    Not really, yet.  However, there are three major moves towards a 100%
    freeware UNIX.

    (1) MACH, from Carnegie Mellon (forgive me if I got the spelling wrong).

	Currently the kernel core is freely available.	No complete
	device drivers or UNIX command utilities that I know of yet,
	though.

    (2) GNU

	GNU is, I believe, working on a UNIX based on Mach.  GNU already
	has many freely available UNIX utilities online including their C
	compiler, GCC.

    (3) BSD

	Berkeley is making a move to remove all AT&T code from BSD UNIX,
	perhaps for 4.4 (?) I don't know.  They have already released
	several berkeley utilities as freeware.  They may be basing either
	4.4 or the one after on a Mach III core but I am not sure of that.

    I believe the best bet will be BSD.  Current rumor puts it at about a
    year away.	You can *bet* that the moment they release it I will begin
    to port it to the Amiga.  BSD has always been a much cleaner
    implementation of UNIX than Sys VR4.  The current limitations, those
    relating to VM management (no shared memory or file mapping) should be
    removed by 4.4, I have heard they are redoing the entire VM subsystem.

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon at Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon