XView on Amix 2.0

James A. Crotinger jac at gandalf.llnl.gov
Tue May 7 02:45:53 AEST 1991

wbrand at krishna.shearson.com (Willy Brandsdorfer) writes:

> I vote for ATT's OLIT instead of XView. XView is not Xt based and is therefore
> not as extensible as OLIT. XView was created in order to ease the port of older
> sunview applications, this is not a consideration for amiga users.

  I would say that, due to the very large numbers of SunView applications,
and now of XView applications, having XView available on the Amiga should
be very important for Amiga owners since it makes it possible for venders
to port their Sun/XView programs to the Amiga as well as the Sun. Also,
from what I've gathered on the Net, many programmers find XView easier to
use than OLIT.

  Of course what I'd really like to see is for Commodore to license OI
from Solbourne. OI is a C++ class based toolkit for OpenLook and Motif
programming.

  BTW, I'm not saying dump OLIT. Keep it as well.

  Jim