elm problems?

Jason Goldberg jason at cbmami.UUCP
Mon May 6 18:24:36 AEST 1991

     Well, in my continuing saga of stupid questions, I have a new one :-)
Under Amix 1.1 on our A3000UX LAN the ELM mail system has gone from being
functional (well at least it worked how it was supposed to :-) ), to the
point where it won't work at at.  I am not aware of any changes that were
made to the system to make it stop working (obviously something had to
happen, but I don't know what).  Now when a user runs ELM it returns the
error "can't open password file" or something to that effect.  Further when
any user tries to do a "ls -la" of their home directory the system also
gives an error like "no access to passwd".  From the root account I can
look at any of their home directories with "ls -la /home/whoever" and
everything works fine.  Every users home direcoty is owned by that user and
most of the files in each directory are owned by that person as well, the
only files in the home directories not owned by the user are two of the
files used by OpenLook which are owned by root.
     I am assuming that I have some type of stupid file access mistake,
which is causing these problems.  Could someone give me a little push in
the right direction?

Thanks very much,

-Jason-