SLIP and floppy driver

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Mon May 13 13:04:48 AEST 1991

	OK, somebody 'fess up. Whilst snooping through the namelist
	for 1.1 I found slip.c. What's the scoop on SLIP? I assume
	it was busted in some manner, why was the code left in the
	kernel? Any chance the SLIP code for R4 released by Intel
	onto the net could make it into 2.0? SLIP would be nice
	to have...

	On the subject of floppy drivers, will 2.0 have multiple
	densitys like 386 floppy drivers do? Are the 3000UX
	drives capablable for doing the mythical 1.44Mbyte trick?
	Any chance that mtools or PC tools of some sort will be in 2.0
	so I can exchange data with the computers at work via
	floppy rather tham 150M cart. tape overkill? Are there any
	special floppy ioctls in 1.1 that can be used to scribble
	PC format disks? I tried to find a floppy driver specific
	.h file in /usr/include but a terse generic AT&T file is
	all I could find.

	Whew, that's alot of questions for one post, I'll see how many
	get answers...

	Back to kernel snooping I go! What other goodies will I find?
	new_funky_reboot, cute name guys!

		-Rob

p.s.
	I'd like to thank Richard Buck for the useful info in his recent
	postings, I hope we can look forward to more of the same in the
	future!

	ARRRRRRRGGGGGGG! The $%^$^% /dev/term/ser driver just panic'd
	kas for the Nth+1 time. I want 2.0, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I guess
	I'll have to use my 3b1 for terminal work till I can get 2.0
	or an A2232. Sigh... I spend $6k+ for a UNIX box and I'm stuck
	having to use my $500.00 firesale UNIX PC for simple remote
	communications; Grrrrrrr. Mumble, mutter, grumble, grumble.

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020