SCSI devices

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Fri May 17 16:22:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991May15.160756.24825 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey)
writes:
>	Has anybody attempted to put a SCSI tape device like an exebyte(tm)
>	or DAT on Amix? Did it work? Did it fail? Did sparks fly out
>	of the boxes?

I as I recall the Exebyte has been tested and works on Amiga Unix.  I
am not sure about DAT.

>	How about a fancy, front end config/format utility for disks
>	and tapes to make it easy for people to add generic SCSI
>	devices? Well, maybe that's too extreme... Maybe some good
>	technical docs on the SCSI driver and the ioctl's I could tickle
>	it with?

>	The maybe some docs on these other mysterious devices
>	in /dev like noise, cage, amiga, tiga? etc. /dev/cage huh, is this
>	where the mouse is kept till X or some other app needs it? B^).

/dev/noise, if openned, will cause the kernel to redirect kernel
printfs to it instead of /dev/console.

/dev/cage used by the floppy driver for interrupts.

You can mmap /dev/amiga to get at the amiga's custom chips.

/dev/tiga? is used for the U of Lowell tiga board.

/dev/scsi can be used to access the scsi bus.

>	As a tangent, can I kill off menud safely? It appears that all it does
>	is print out a warning message to a VT when you log out so neophytes
>	know what is going on. I'd like to get rid of it so I have blank
>	VT's I can switch to that will "fake" a screenblanker...

Do it.  A much more acceptable menud will be release in 2.0.  Maybe
a screen blanker will appear. also.

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag