What is Amiga Unix really like, (really porting)

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Mon May 20 05:17:28 AEST 1991

In article <408 at netxcom.netx.com> logan at netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) writes:
>sources that Commodore ported for me.  I am very close to finishing the
>port of the latest gcc.  When I finish that, then I will start on g++.
>If you want, I can tell you how it goes.

	Unless you're doing the port for C=, why bother? 2.0 will have
	the newer gcc in it, or so I've heard. Why not put resources
	elsewhere?

># perl
>Well, the version I have doesn't work "right out of the box".  I had
>to do a lot of manual configuration, but code changes were unnecessary.
>(Good job, Larry!)  The dbm library on the Amiga is completely broken,
>(both ndbm and dbm) so I can't use it.

	Maybe a port of gdbm or sdbm is in order. Hey C= guys, have
	the dbm librarys been fixed? Has a port of gdbm already been
	done by someone?

	Maybe we should set up a mail group for Amix porting so that
	C= and the rest of us don't do work that someone else has already
	done? Remember, C= is updating and porting programs for 2.0...

># rn
>I expect to get my UUNET account and password in the mail today (I
>already received my Nutshell book and answers to everyone's questions
>about UUNET, so I expect the rest today).  If it comes in time,
>I will be downloading and porting News and rn to my machine all
>weekend.  If anyone has any gotcha's for either of these, please
>send email to "uunet!gimlet!logan" (my home address on the A3000).

	Huh? Rn comes with Amix? 2.0 will probably have the newest
	rn in it. The rn on 1.1 works well as local, rn, and over
	the net, rrn. NNTP and Bnews are also already in the stock
	distribution along with the source to it all.

>I have heard that C news is evil, and that it is the best thing since
>sliced bread.  Which comments are accurate?  I have always used B News.
>Which one should I port?

	Since C= already has B news done and B news is essentially done,
	i.e. all new development will probably involve C news in the
	USENET community. I'd say try to port C news.

># SeeTeX (Xtek)
># TeX
>Someone else already posted about these.  I haven't tried them.

	TeX 3.0, metafont and xdvi all work great under Amix 1.1.
	Had to #if !defined(AMIX) around some of the sprintf
	declarations but otherwise it was straight forward and easy.
	If you want the gory details, send me email.

># xrn
>I'd like to get a copy of this, I think.  What does it do and
>where can it be found?  If it was posted, I can get if from UUNET.

	UUNET should have a copy of it in comp.sources.x. xrn requires
	NNTP, which comes with Amix 1.1, but it also might require X11R4
	to compile. I've had mixed luck with X programs under 1.1. Seems
	the farther away from Xlib you get, i.e. Athena widgets and
	extensive Xt use, the more likely newer X programs will bomb.

	Supposedly 2.0 will have X11R4 so these problems should be
	moot in the next rel. of the OS.

	Again, we should set up a mailing list for porting efforts that
	includes the gang at C= so that porting efforts aren't done
	multiple times. Since I have such a big mouth, I'm willing
	to set it up. If you want to join and help coordinate ports,
	send mail to:
	amix-ports-request at kas.helios.mn.org
	Please include an e-mail address to have the list sent to
	and a list of programs you've ported or will be porting.

	After a week or so if I get enough names I'll set up a mailing
	list and we can start comparing notes. Hopefully the C= crew
	will be willing to join too. I would ask that only one e-mail
	address per host be used, preferably an alias at your site so
	that it can be updated without having to change the alias on
	kas.

	Let's see if we can get things oragnaized!

		-Rob

Rob Healey                                          rhealey at digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)
Eden Prairie, MN                                    (612) 943-9020