Unix software clock goes much too slow

blatter martin a. blatter at avalon.tmc.edu
Sat May 11 06:12:10 AEST 1991

I'm having a problem with our Amiga 3000 UX installation at
the University of Zurich:

The software clock goes much too slow (several minutes
a day). This seems to be caused by a software bug - our
machine is a 50 Hz (European, PAL) machine running
Amiga Unix 1.1. As recommended in the Beta3j release
notes (page 2: "Avoid PAL flicker"), we changed
jumper J200 to its NTSC setting.

Unix apparently assumes that all machines with NTSC
video have 60 Hz power frequency which, of course, is
not the case.

I now added a crontab entry that runs /sbin/setclk
every five minutes. Is this safe? Is there a more
elegant way to work around this bug?

Has this been fixed for Amiga Unix 2.0?

Thanks for any help.
--Martin