A/UX MacOS co-existence

Ralph Hyre ralphw at IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU
Sat Apr 23 00:24:29 AEST 1988

In article <4036 at sphinx.uchicago.edu> sas1 at sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Stuart Schmukler) writes:
>In article <1451 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw at IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) writes:

>>The 68020 supports the idea of a virtual machines, you can run any
>>number of independent 680X0 programs in user mode, even if they
>>want to run in supervisor mode.  ... [386 stuff deleted]
>
>One of the problems (I think) is that both the MacOS and its programs
>are running in supervisor mode.  Some programs take advantage of that
>fact even tho Apple has told them that it is not wise to rely on
>supervisor mode instructions.
This was part of my point, the Apple software will have no way of knowing
it's not running in supervisor mode, since executing a priviledged instruction
in user mode will cause a priviledge violation, which will invoke the
(mythical) A/UX handler for that which will provide the proper results to the
MacOS for the 'illegal' instruction.  [This all presumes that you can
control whether something runs in user or supervisor mode (on the Mac ][,
I presume you can since it's running Unix)]

[apologies for terminology wierdness - I'm not a 680X0 hacker]

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw at ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW at W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA