Time Zone trouble...

Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan jackie at Apple.COM
Thu Apr 7 03:08:24 AEST 1988

In article <18918 at think.UUCP>, whitney at think.COM (David Whitney) writes:
> Be sure that all .login files are changed to use EST5EDT. Also, change
> /etc/sysinitrc (it's in there somewhere as well).
>
> I've set every occurrance I could find, yet the system will still (on random
> occasion) give me the right time in PDT (ie, if it's 10 am, it'll say 0700PDT).
>
> A seperate problem I have is this: now that we are running on Daylight Savings,
> A/ux reports the time as one hour later than what the Mac says the time is.
> In order for me to have A/ux tell me accurately that it is 10 am, I must
> set the mac to 9 am. Why is this?
>
> David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
> {the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
> whitney at think.com                          technical info appreciated.
> DISCLAIMER: If they only knew what I was doing and saying here...

Here's an excerpt from the file README from A/UX release 1.0. Hope it helps.

Time zone handling
	The TZ environment variable is used to determine your local timezone.
	The value of TZ references the name of a timezone file to be used.
	These files are to be found in the directory, /etc/zoneinfo. As
	shipped, TZ is set to "PST8PDT", corresponding to the file
	/etc/zoneinfo/PST8PDT.  If the value of TZ is set to the null string,
	Greenwich Mean Time will be used. If the TZ variable is unset, the
	file /etc/zoneinfo/localtime will be used as a default value.

	As distributed, A/UX is configured for U.S. Pacific Standard Time.
	If you are in a different timezone, you will want to change this.
	To change your timezone, determine which file in /etc/zoneinfo
	describes your timezone. If necessary, create you own file using
	tzdump(1M) and tzic(1M). Relink the file /etc/zoneinfo/localtime
	to your time zone file.

	The TZ variable is currently being set in a number of A/UX files.
	You must edit these files, either removing or changing the setting
	of TZ. Edit the following files: /.profile, /.login, /etc/bcheckrc,
	/etc/profile, /etc/rc, /etc/sysinitrc, and /users/start/.login.

 Disclaimer: I works heres, buts theys don'ts knows I's cans types.

Hernan 'Jackie' Macapanpan			      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!jackie
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /