Problems with A/UX--NFS locking up

Hugh Daniel hugh at hoptoad.uucp
Mon Apr 11 18:06:36 AEST 1988

  We have found that the Apple Ethernet card can not take the eight
back to back packets that our sun can send it.  This will make a mac
act strange when you have  a program that writes to a Mac/NFS disk,
are the program will lock up.  Yet if you try it by hand it will work
as you can not type 8k that fast.
  We fixed this by changeing our /etc/fstab entry on the *Sun* thus:
        grass:/u1 /u1   nfs rw,soft,bg,retrans=10,wsize=1024 0 0
The "wsize=1024" is the magic that makes the packets small and far
apart.  You will need to do this on ALL machines that write to the
A/UX NFS file system.
  I believe that this is the Apple (really 3Com) card being to slow.

hugh at toad.com                   Grasshopper Group
--

		||ugh Daniel
hugh at hoptoad.uucp /wiscarpa%"hugh at lll-crg.arpa" ...!hplabs!welll!hugh
These twisted geeks have Completely Lost their grip on Reality! -Duke