Problem with A/UX sendmail.cf

Donald L. Nash dlnash at ut-emx.UUCP
Fri Dec 23 04:23:11 AEST 1988

I have found what I believe is a problem with the sendmail.cf file distributed
with A/UX.  I can send RFC 822 mail properly, but I can only receive RFC 822
mail if the other end addresses the recipient as <user>, NOT as
<user at host.domain>.  If this second form is used, the sender gets an
"undeliverable message" message back from MAILER-DAEMON.  Here is a transcript:

>From MAILER-DAEMON at bubba Thu Dec 22 12:07:58 1988
>Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88...
>From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at bubba>
>Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>To: <dlnash at digate.cc.utexas.edu>

>>> HELO bubba
<<< 553 bubba I refuse to talk to myself
554 <dlnash at bubba.ots.utexas.edu>... Service unavailable: No such file or
    directory.

   ----- Unsent message follow -----
[message deleted]

Note that I quoted the header lines myself with ">".  I also had to wrap
the 554 line, it was originally one line which was more than 80 characters
long.

As I said earlier, this problem does not happen when the remote SMTP uses
RCPT TO: <dlnash>
It only happens when
RCPT TO: <dlnash at bubba.ots.utexas.edu>
is used.  This makes me believe that this is a problem with the sendmail
configuration file.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Does someone
have a fix?  Thanks in advance for any help.

				Don Nash

ARPA:    dlnash at emx.utexas.edu
BITNET:	 D.NASH at UTCHPC
THENET:  UTCHPC::D.NASH

UUU       UUU
 U         U                   The University of Texas System
 U     TTTTUTTTTTTTTT       Office of Telecommunication Services
 U     T   U TT     T
  U       U  TT             "The world is basically non-linear."
   UUUUUUU   TT
             TT
            TTTT