Tiny bug in A/UX 1.0 finger

John Pane pane at cat.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 27 03:52:22 AEST 1988

In article <27425 at bbn.COM> jjd at BBN.COM () writes:

>There is a tiny bug in the A/UX 1.0 finger command.
>
>When given a local user as an argument, it apparently fails to
>discriminate between current and dead processes listed in /etc/utmp.

I don't know if the problem you describe is a bug in finger or a bug in term
(is it ok for term to leave that entry in /etc/utmp?).  I was able to fix it
by adding one line of code to the term program.  After line 106, add:
	utmp.ut_user[0] = '\0';
This has the effect of removing the username from the utmp entry.

John Pane
Department of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
pane at cs.cmu.edu