A/UX & other *NIXes

R.L. Jakschewitz rlj-nbg at infohh.rmi.de
Sat Jul 16 07:08:07 AEST 1988

Subject: A/UX and other *NIXes

1) It took me about 30 minutes to partition a disk under XENIX V.2, V.3
using that version of *NIX's menu driven (mostly shell script) interactive
tools, and that's including the necessary reading of manuals, and it took
me more than 8 hours using A/UX. You really get to feel what adventure games
are a simulation of, trying to round up 4 pages of information that's spread
over 3-4 manuals.

2) I tried to compile X/lib/X with option '-g' (for sdb-ing), and although I
had selected the big-table versions of the compilers: 'too many fake table
entries' - that wasn't any problem under XENIX-386 (we had other problems
there, but please let me use some more of my RAM).

3) ... and help sdb get rid of its crutches, the current version is pitiful
at the very best.

4) Another aspect is data hiding: >50 pages of information about UNIX_DOMAINS
with a rich collection of examples - and 1 line saying that only INTERNET
is supported. I always wanted to spend my time writing socket/select
simulations for socketless SVR[23] systems - but I digress ;-)

Not even mentioning 386i's,
          rlj

RL Jakschewitz  systemsoftware  Geuderstr. 7  D-8500 NUERNBERG 20  West Germany
Tel: +949 911 53 84 24                                     BITNET: P17386 at QZCOM
UUCP: rlj-nbg at infohh.rmi.de         or ??  uunet!mcvax!unido!infohh.rmi!rlj-nbg