Weirdness in cu in A/UX

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 14 01:39:03 AEST 1988

In article <6258 at well.UUCP> shibumi at well.UUCP (Kenton A. Hoover) writes:
>Ok, sports fans, has anyone else had a problem with 'cu' ignoring a
>chat script when calling a foreign system?  uucico works just fine
>with the same script.

As far as I can tell, 'cu' uses only the DIR/ACU and dialcode information
for a system.  (The login script is ignored, perhaps, because it is assumed
to be for the UUCP access to the same system?).  Unfortunately, there are no
dialer modules in /dev for hayes/apple modems, so the dialcode info is not
properly used.  I guess that the intent is to use 'tip' for interactive access
since that is functionally equivalent to 'cu', but uses the /etc/phones files,
and generally has a cleaner dialing interface.

The reason you think 'cu' is using part of the chat script, is that when ACU
is selected as a line type, the phone number field is sent to the second
device in the L.sys line, which is usually the same as the line device itself.
It would be nice if one could put a dialer device as the second device: e.g.
ACU tty0 apple 1200

You can ALMOST get this effect by setting up
ACU tty0 ../usr/bin/mydialer 1200

(since the device name is always prefixed by /dev), but I don't know what kind
of return mydialer should make to enable the rest of UUCP to continue.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)