DA development under A/UX

Tom Biddulph bid at starnine.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 13:11:45 AEST 1988

I am interested in pursuing DA (Desk Accessory) development under A/UX.
I have developed all of the pieces I need to do this, except (and it
is a BIG except) for the ability to generate position independent code
under A/UX.  This is necessary because of the structure of Macintosh DAs.

Does anyone know of a "C" compiler that runs under A/UX that will generate
position independent code?

Editorial Note:

Some people MAY wonder why anyone would want to write DAs for A/UX
systems since it has always been reported that DAs are a "poor man's"
answer to a multiprocessing system. Well, since A/UX can only support
one Macintosh binary application at a time, and future releases of A/UX
will support DAs, it seems reasonable that there is a market (read that
demand) for access to certain UNIX functionality while running a
Macintosh binary.  Since all Macintosh binaries allow coexistence with
DAs, it therefore becomes logical that DA development for A/UX has a
market (if A/UX has a market -- but, I won't go into that).

Tom Biddulph
StarNine Technologies, Inc.
{uunet,unisoft}!starnine!bid