Backups

Fred Fish fnf at fishpond.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 03:37:21 AEST 1988

In article <143 at tulane.tulane.edu> barad at tulane.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>I have a Mac II running A/UX connected to a Sun 3/280 server.  The server
>has a tape drive and I'd like to backup the Mac II this way.
> [stuff omitted -fnf]
>What is the best way of backing up a Mac II when you have it hooked up to
>a Sun with a tape drive?

The "best way" is probably I matter of debate.  I have had my Backup
and Restore Utility (bru) ported to A/UX for over six months, but have
not been inclined to invest the time or money to produce an enduser
product (with appropriate documentation and packaging) for the A/UX
marketplace, until I am convinced that such a marketplace exists.

Bru handles remote magtapes, so it would work just fine in this sort
of environment, particularly since A/UX doesn't yet support any sort
of magnetic tape devices of it's own.  It also has automatic formatting
of floppies (if you are stuck with backing up to 50-100 floppies like
I am), transparent compression of files, and lots of other nice features.

However, if there was sufficient interest in a minimal distribution
of nothing more than an installation floppy and a copy of the manual
pages, then my marketing folks could probably be convinced to put
together such a distribution for "expert only users".  Kind of like
the "software in a baggie" distributions of the early microcomputer
days.  Call them at (602) 820-0042 and make your wishes known.

Disclaimer:  I have tried to minimize the commercial content of this
message and maximize the information content.

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113