What is the official availability status of A/UX

James E. Wilson wilson at ji.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 31 10:44:58 AEST 1988

In article <4270 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <399 at dragos.UUCP> work at dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
>> IS A/UX available to joe nobody ?
>
>As of this week, there are 7 (seven) dealers in the world who are
>allowed to sell A/UX.  None of them are permitted to sell by mail order,
>so if you don't live near one, go get a PC Clone and Xenix instead.
>(Or buy a Sun -- though Sun makes it almost this hard to buy machines.)

Thanks for the info, John.

Although AUX is targeted for the University enviroment, it is not
easy to get in universities either.  Currently, UC Berkeley is still
negotiating with Apple on how A/UX will be distributed.  I was told that
there are only a few universities where one can purchase A/UX at the
moment.  Meanwhile, UCB expects to have an agreement "in about a month".

So, I am still waiting for my copy, too.

Developers have no problem getting A/UX boxes.  (They are even shipping
with 1 MB SIMMS in them!).  Perhaps those us that want A/UX should
try to become developers, after all, 'code devleopment' is what I am
going to do with my A/UX box anyways.

Jim Wilson                  "If it is only a game, then why keep score?"
wilson at ji.Berkeley.EDU          Worf - Star Trek: The Next Generation
ucbvax!ucbji!wilson