number of simultaneously open (buff

Zdenko Tomasic zdenko at csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Sun May 22 08:07:15 AEST 1988

In article <10744 at apple.Apple.Com> phil at apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:

>A most curious thing, folks. I responded to a query as to the maximum
>open file descriptors per process in A/UX, and replied 32, along with a
>description of WHY it is 32 (i.e., not just a random number). (The reason
>was that the 4.1c/4.2 code base we were taking from at the time ignored
>anything after the first 32-bit int in the array given to the select()
>system call. So we picked 32, as we knew that 20 was just a little bit
>on the insufficient side).
>
>Anyway, although aglew above is a neutral reply, many of the direct mail
>THAT BSD 4.3 SELECT ALLOWS AN ARRAY OF INTEGERS .... YOU FOOL". And so on.

Don't get discouraged Phil!

I thank you for your response and find it useful as well as the
subsequent discussions which often go off on a tangent. We all
learn through confusion and disscusion even when it only adds to
misconceptions or misunderstanding.  Everything gets cleared up
eventually regardless of tempers and moods people find themselves
in while reading newsgroups.

>Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
>Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014
>{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil
>"In A/UX Release 4.0, /bin will still be there ...." P. Zigbooli

Hang in there and keep the communication lanes open, flames will eventually
subside as you improve AUX listening to the UNIX community at large.
Thanks again!

Zdenko Tomasic
UWM, Chem. Dept.
Milwaukee,WI,53201