Bigger Drives from Apple for A/UX????

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Tue May 24 04:59:43 AEST 1988

In article <890005 at hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj at hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>At the recent SVNet A/UX presentation (at Apple, by Apple) ...
>One heckler said that even though Apple rewrote the man pages, "they still
>have an AT&T 'look and feel'".  Everyone laughed and the Apple reps just
>looked chagrined. As well they should.

Ahem. No, we didn't look chagrined. Apple would like to have rewritten
ALL the A/UX (i.e., UNIX) documentation to Apple documentation standards.
The cost would have been UNBELIEVABLE. And it would have taken years.
The A/UX documentation set, at 6,000+ pages, is more than ALL OTHER
Apple documentation for COMBINED. We would have dearly loved to have it
all rewritten. And guess what group would have to PROOF all that rewriting?
Yes, us software types, thus taking time away from software development.
The manual set cost would then be extremely high. And goodness knows,
we would have then been flamed for "destroying" the much loved man page
format etc. etc. etc. ... ( :-) ???).

So we didn't. But we did rewrite all the non-man documenatation. And the
areas such as system administration and getting started were where we put
in the most effort. And we did the most important manuals in the Macintosh
documentation look and feel.

So we did look into redoing all the documentation. Until we saw the cost
and time. Anyway, A/UX has to have SOME tradition! :-)
Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014
{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil
"In A/UX Release 4.0, /bin will still be there ...." P. Zigbooli