a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

Ted Lemon mellon at eris.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 6 14:55:12 AEST 1988

In article <18289 at apple.Apple.COM> phil at Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>I have an Ethernet problem was quite a time ago. It seemed that 4-5 people
>plugged their Ethernet card into A/UX and expected it to right without
>running autoconfig and setting the daemons on /etc/inittab. So there
>was a bunch of "A/UX Ethernet doesn't work" postings. The instructions in
>the release manual explicitly showed how to run autoconfig and enable the
>daemons -- but hey, we're Macintosh users, we don't read no stinkin' manuals...

Having been one of the people in that group, I must say that your accusations
are groundless.   I wasn't provided with TFM to R.   In fact, we still haven't
received the A/UX release notes, six months after A/UX arrived.   We also
haven't received any documentation about how to make a second drive work,
or any of that wonderful stuff.   The support staff has been very good about
tracking down and sending every bizarre manual they can lay their hands on,
but never the correct one.   If anyone's interested, I've been sent some
really old (antique?) APDA documents for A/UX, of which I had previously
had only the smaller, inferior post-release versions. :'}

Also, there was a defective Ethertalk card, produced for Apple by 3Com.
Apple stopped delivery of Ethertalk cards for quite a while while that
little mixup was resolved.   Supposedly, there was a bug in the PROM which
resulted in poor performance under some circumstances.   Given the current
performance, I'd sure hate to have one of the old ones.

Bye the way, does, or will, A/UX support the SCSI adapter card which
plugs into NuBus and actually, incredibly, does DMA?   I understand that
this is a third party product, but I'm sure that it would do wonders
for disk performance!

				_MelloN_